Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Another Winter Sign

So, last week in the 20-ish temps, after arriving home from work at 9:30 PM, I decided to take the trash out in the snow to the road.  I fell into the front yard snow, and could not get up.  I normally cannot get up from falling, but I tried, and tried more.  I pushed up from the garbage can, but could not stand. My feet in my canvas slip-ons slid.

No, I did not have my cell phone.  I yelled, “Help!”  No one in my neighborhood seemed to be awake at that time of the evening. I continued to yell.   No cars came down the road.  I realized my fingers hurting meant I could get frostbite, but I had gloves in my pockets.

After trying to stand up more, I thought going to sleep would feel good, but I knew that was a bad sign.  I didn’t actually feel cold.  I decided to roll, like a snow whale, through the snow to the front porch.  I still could not get up using the slippery surface.  I tried.  I knew the school bus passing in the morning would not pick me up.

Finally, after an hour in the snow, the neighbor came home at 10:30 PM from the airport.  He heard me, came over, and dead-lifted me so I could stand.  I am fortunate he heard me and had such strength. I feel blessed. I didn’t want to be garbage, or in the snow. I don't like Winter.  This must have been another sign of a bad winter … or a klutzy me … or both.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment